Did you know that an American family of four people uses an average of 260 gallons of water per day? Washing dishes, showering, flushing toilets, washing clothes, and watering yards are some of the common household activities that use the most water. In addition to water, other resources such as electricity and plastic materials are frequently going to waste.
The good news is that through small efforts to change our daily habits, we can make a huge difference in environmental impact. At ICO Station Parkway Apartments in Farmington, Utah, we encourage all of our residents to live more green by following these suggestions:
Don’t Waste Water
Today, 3.6 billion people live in places where water is scarce. Since Utah is a state that often has dry summers, it’s important for residents at our apartments in Farmington to be careful with how much water they use. Here are some ideas of ways to save on water:
- Check for leaks. A faucet that leaks just one drop of water per second adds up to 165 gallons per month! Be on the lookout for leaks and report them to maintenance so the leaks can be fixed as quickly as possible.
- Speed up showers. People use an average of 37 gallons of water every time they shower. Do your best to shower quickly so you can avoid using more water than necessary.
- Don’t flush trash. Whenever you flush it, a toilet uses about 3.5 gallons of water. So don’t flush every time you toss a tissue in the toilet; use your flushes sparingly.
- Turn off the faucet. Whether you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes, don’t leave the faucet on while you are not using it. Take a few extra seconds to turn it off and then back on when you need it.
- Wash only with full loads. When you do laundry or use the dishwasher, make sure you do so only with full loads. This will reduce the number of times you have to run the machines.
By making these small changes, you can make a huge difference in the amount of water you use each day.
Reduce Energy Use
With a few additional habits, you can save not only on water but also on energy usage. Here are some good practices to cut down on energy use at our apartments in Farmington:
- Don’t leave lights on. While it may seem like common sense, make sure when you leave a room you flip off the light on your way out. If there is a bright window, consider leaving the light off in the first place.
- Unplug cords. If you have any chargers, electronics, lamps, or appliances that aren’t in use, unplug them!
- Do laundry with cold water. It always uses less energy to set your washing machine to cold rather than warm or hot. Plus, this will keep your clothes from shrinking!
- Use environmentally-friendly light bulbs. Using eco-friendly light bulbs can reduce energy use by up to 75 percent. You might not switch out all your light bulbs at once, but once they burn out, buy an energy-efficient replacement.
Not only will using less electricity in your apartment lower utility bills, but it will also reduce greenhouse gas emissions and contribute to a cleaner, more sustainable environment.
Improve Your Recycling
Of course, a great way to live green is to recycle, and we encourage all residents to do so. Items you can recycle include plastic bottles and containers, empty cans, paper, and flattened cardboard. However, you cannot recycle food, liquid, plastic bags, plastic wrap, or cups with wax or plastic coating. In Farmington, Utah, you can take your recycling to Recycling Solutions LLC.
At ICO Station Parkway Apartments in Farmington, we care about the environment and ask you to consider implementing these suggestions. With these small changes to live more green, you can help protect the planet and improve the environment for all.